Wednesday, March 11, 2009

What You Should Know.......

This is the maiden post of this blog. It has been driving me crazy watching all the morning t.v. shows and newspapers with all "my" stuff I've been practicing all these years. With that said, it's almost crazy to think that so many people do not already know this stuff. Hello.....where have you all been? O.K now that I've got that out of my system here we go.

I guess the first thing I want to share is if you can....buy local produce and buy in season. You will save money when you buy in season because ..news flash....that's when the produce is grown in your area. When you buy local it has a shorter distance to travel to get to your local grocery store or farmers market AND it will help support your friends and neighbors. I know it's not always possible, but when you can...please do so.

Another really big thing is to buy in bulk when on sale. Remember, only buy items that your family already uses. For instance...if you make chili con carne on a fairly regular basis and kidney beans,tomato past, tomato sauce are on sale then buy in quantity. It won't go bad because it's canned and you already use the product. Make sure you rotate your "stash". That means move your older cans forward in your storage area when you store your current purchase.

I know that buying non perishables in bulk can seem overwhelming at first but trust me. This will save you money in the long run. And think about it. You won't have to run to the store for that one item you need to make that days....fill in the blank here....breakfast...lunch...dinner. Plus, you won't be tempted to make that unscheduled purchase at the grocery store. I also know that many of you do not have enough storage space for bulk purchase but do the best you can. Maybe some shelves in your garage or shelves in a closet of a spare bedroom. There are ways, it just takes some creativity. You can do it!

I will continue to clue you in to a lot of things that I have been doing. That will include cleaning tips, shopping tips, fast and easy recipes, ways to stretch your food budget and eat well to boot! It's not that hard and once you get started you will continue to do these things forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

count net traffic
Dinette Furniture